Below are some tips to help manage your anxiety. Our goal at Barry Road Dental Group is to make you as comfortable as possible!
If you are nervous about an upcoming dental visit, try these tips to curb your anxiety.
1. Talk with Dr. Altenburg, your Dental Hygienist or one of our caring staff members about your dental anxiety so they can explain what the procedure really entails and you know what to expect. Our team really wants to make your experience as comfortable and stress-free as possible.
2. Focus on breathing regularly and slowly during dental procedures. When people are nervous they tend to hold their breath, which decreases oxygen levels and further increases feeling of panic.
3. Listen to some tunes during your appointment to help block out sounds. Bring along your favorite music and earphones.
4. Everyone’s pain threshold is different. Don’t be afraid to ask for a numbing agent if you are in pain. We will not want to proceed unless you are comfortable!
5. Watch what you eat and drink. Avoid caffeine before a dental appointment. Eat high-protein foods which unlike sugary foods produce a calming effect.
6. Bring someone you trust to your appointment to help provide comfort and reduce dental anxiety.
7. Choose a low stress appointment time. Select a time for your dental visit when you are less likely to be rushed or under pressure.